Preparing for your Memory Burn
- Never leave a burning candle unattended. A good rule of thumb to prepare for your memory burn is to know the diameter of your candle. For every inch in diameter that your candle is wide, you need to gauge one hour of burn time. So, if your candle is 3 inches wide; you need to be able to burn your candle the first time for at least 3 hours. So, for the memory burn, it is important to start it when you know that you will be able to keep an eye on it for the allotted time necessary.
- Although lighting candles definitely adds to the ambiance of a room, certain precautions do need to be in place for the open flame of a candle. Never burn a candle where small children or pets are within reach. The wax of a melting candle is very hot and can cause severe burns.
- Before you light your candle, make sure that the wick is no longer than ¼” high. Be careful not to cut your wick too low, this is a sure fire way to drown your wick out in the melted wax. This is a key tip to remember each time that you light your candle. Recalling this simple step each time will lessen the amount of soot and smoking from your candle.
- Always keep your candle free of wick trimmings, matches, and any other debris. Any of these items could be flammable.
Why a Memory Burn is Important
- All candle waxes retain a memory. In order to have a full melt pool, where liquid wax is touching every side of the container, the candle has to have a memory of that. If the first time you burn a 4” wide candle, and only get a 2 inch wide melt pool before you extinguish the candle, you have already inhibited your candle. If you prevent the full memory burn from occurring the result is never being able to achieve a clean, full melt pool all the way down to the bottom. The melt pool will follow the boundaries already established from the memory burn and will only ever reach 2 inches wide.
- Besides getting the most out of your candle time with a full memory burn, there is another reason why memory burns are so important. With a full melt pool on your candle, you will notice a stronger scent throw from your candle.